A little late, but I try to change my WordPress theme at least once a year. This is a process I dread, mostly because I am not a designer and just trying to figure out a color scheme can take days only to revert back to what I started with.
I am doing something different this year and throwing the theme up on Github so others can tinker with it. So feel free to use it as is, or whack away at it till you get something you want. Since this is my current theme, expect things to change.
This theme is a child theme for the Thematic Framework, it allows me to test out the new Thematic 2.0 (still in beta) which incorporates some new features and code to make it a little more modern.
So what is new?
My workflow has completely changed. I am not going to explain anything in detail, just a brief overview of what has changed.
I am now using gulp. Switching to gulp from something like Compass.app to compile my Sass has been by far the biggest boost to productivity. I made the switch because I was having trouble getting Autoprefixer to work and I was hell-bent on incorporating it into my workflow. With gulp, I now have Autoprefixer working with LiveReload, so I don’t have to bother with keeping up with vendor prefixes and when I save the file my browser automatically refreshes. I also set it up to spit out a minified version of the CSS, but I don’t use that so others can view my code to learn (or steal it).
If you’re interested in learning gulp, there are tons of videos out there so you can get an overview of using it and an awesome article I would recommend is “Getting started with gulp” by Mark Goodyear.
I dropped using Compass (Sorry Compass), the only reason I was using it before was for vendor prefixing for things like transitions and gradients. Now Autoprefixer makes all that obsolete. Compass use to also be a required dependency for Susy Grids, but now Susy Grids 2.0 doesn’t need it any longer.
I finally got with the times and have started using FTPloy. I work on the site locally, then push the updated files to Github, FTPloy sees the files have changed and pushes that up to my live site. So no more working on the site live, but this setup allows me to still be lazy (the reason I worked on it live in the first place).